- Patchy loss of skin color.
- Premature whitening or graying of the hair on your scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard.
- The loss of skin pigmentation is particularly around body orifices, such as the mouth, eyes, nostrils, genitalia and umbilicus.
- Itching before new patches occur.
- Patches initially small, but often grow and change shape.
- Loss of color in the tissues that line the inside of your mouth and nose (mucous membranes).
According to Ayurveda there are three biological elements present in our body; Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Due to above said reasons, three elements get aggravated in association with skin, lymph (Rasa) and blood (Raktha) are significantly involved, it results in vitiligo, known as shwitra-kushta in Ayurveda.
If the patches are
- Non discharging skin lesions, often poses rough surface, dry in nature and red: Vata is predominant.
- Colour of lotus(coppery)associated with burning sensation and loss of hair follicles: Pitta predominant.
- White, dense, heavy patches associated with itching: Kapha predominant
Kapha predominant which are very white in color and chronic in nature, also lesions of vitiligo appearing in the palm, sole, genitalia, and lips are said to be incurable.