- Facial pain or pressure
- "Stuffed-up" nose
- Runny nose
- Loss of smell
- Cough or congestion
You may also have:
- Bad breath
- Dental pain
Allergic rhinitis, which is an edema of the nasal mucosa.
- Small growths in the nasal mucosa called nasal polyps.
- A curved septum, which is a change in the nasal cavity.
- Swelling in the nose like a common cold.
- Blocked drainage channel.
- Increased intake of dry, oily, spicy, or too hot or too cold foods, and foods that are heavy, indigestible and incompatible foods .
- Suppressing natural urges of tears and vomiting, exposure to cold or dusty and dry weather, staying awake till late in the night, and sleeping in the daytime.
According to Ayurveda there are three elements present in our body : Vata, Pitta and Kapha which should be in balance. Sinusitis is known as Dushta Pratishyaya, where the main dosha affected is Kapha. It gets aggravated and vitiates the Prana Vata (a subtype of Vata), which is mainly present in the respiratory tract.
Treatment protocol aims at:
- Cleanse the sinuses and treat the inflammation in the sinuses and nasal cavity.
- Prevent recurrence by healing and repairing the tissue.
- Boost overall immunity of the body and prevent complications.
The first line of treatment should always be avoiding the causative factors. If the problem persists then consider the following treatment protocol.
- Fever, runny nose, loss of smell and Bad breath - Inflamed mucosal lining of sinus produce mucus to combat the infection and this results in a runny nose and inflammation in nasal mucosa blocking the odour receptors causing loss of smell. Infection causes smelly mucus and produces bad breath. Guduchi, Tankana will help to treat the inflammation and Surasa is very helpful in conditions like loss of smell and it is an excellent drug for all respiratory system diseases. Yasthimadhu helps to heal and repair the tissue and clear the nasal cavity. Inflamed sinus produces pain in the face and can be managed with the help of Vacha.
- Cough and fever - A sinus infection can cause mucus and fluid to back up in the throat, which may make the throat itch or feel full resulting in throat infection. Some people repeatedly cough to try to clear the throat, but others experience uncontrollable coughing. Fever- Fever is a system - wide sign of inflammation that raises the body temperature and stimulates the immune response. - Sitopaladi churna, Vasa, Kantakari, Karkatashrngi are effective in coughing by clearing mucus and also helps to boost immunity . Vasa also helps to cure fatigue.
Surasa,Guduchi,Vasa,Vacha,Yashtimadhu,Sitopaladi churna,Tankan bhasma,karkatasrngi,Kantakari