Treatment protocol aims at:
- Cleanse the sinuses and treat the inflammation in the sinuses and nasal cavity.
- Prevent recurrence by healing and repairing the tissue.
- Boost overall immunity of the body and prevent complications.
The first line of treatment should always be avoiding the causative factors. If the problem persists then consider the following treatment protocol.
- Fever, runny nose, loss of smell and Bad breath - Inflamed mucosal lining of sinus produce mucus to combat the infection and this results in a runny nose and inflammation in nasal mucosa blocking the odour receptors causing loss of smell. Infection causes smelly mucus and produces bad breath. Guduchi, Tankana will help to treat the inflammation and Surasa is very helpful in conditions like loss of smell and it is an excellent drug for all respiratory system diseases. Yasthimadhu helps to heal and repair the tissue and clear the nasal cavity. Inflamed sinus produces pain in the face and can be managed with the help of Vacha.
- Cough and fever - A sinus infection can cause mucus and fluid to back up in the throat, which may make the throat itch or feel full resulting in throat infection. Some people repeatedly cough to try to clear the throat, but others experience uncontrollable coughing. Fever- Fever is a system - wide sign of inflammation that raises the body temperature and stimulates the immune response. - Sitopaladi churna, Vasa, Kantakari, Karkatashrngi are effective in coughing by clearing mucus and also helps to boost immunity . Vasa also helps to cure fatigue.
(The above mentioned Ayurvedic drugs are Herbs and Herbomineral preparations)
Other therapies like - Nasyam, Lepanam, Thalam, Vamanam, Shirodhara are commonly practiced depending on the dosha predominance and severity.