Licorice ( Glycyrrhiza glabra),Hindi Name:Mulethi, a shrub native to the Mediterranean and central Asia. The Sanskrit name of Glycyrrhiza glabra is Yashtimadhu. The Yashtimadhu root has been significantly used for ages in Indian system of Ayurvedic medicine, in ancient Egyptian medicine and in traditional Chinese medicine.
It is a perennial herb that grows up to three feet tall and has a woody, branching, brown rhizome (underground stem) that is yellow inside.
|Vipak (Post-digestive effect)||Madhura|
|Guna (Quality)||Heavy, unctuous|
|Doshic Effect||Balances - v-p-k|
- The herb is effective in curing respiratory diseases like bronchitis, asthma, chronic bronchitis, chest congestion, sore throat, and whooping cough.
- It has demonstrated a soothing effect on the throat and pharynx. Therefore, it is also effective in treating hoarseness of the voice.
- Mulethi benefits include boosting your immune system, which helps in giving your body the strength to fight many diseases and illnesses. This helps your body from being affected by harmful diseases.
- Yashtimadhu root contains a variety of phytochemicals such as flavonoids like Glycyrrhizin, Liquiritigenin, and Glabridin that have antiviral activity against the SARS coronavirus .
- Based on the molecular docking study, usage of Yashtimadhu may be beneficial in the prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infection and can reduce the severity in the infected person. Thus in consultation with Ayurvedic practitioners, Yashtimadhu can be taken as an immunity booster and also as a prophylaxis in prevention and management of COVID-19.
- The roots of the plant aids in supporting the digestive system by lowering the acidic levels in the intestine.
- It is effective in curing conditions like indigestion, peptic ulcers, duodenal ulcers, gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, and heartburn.
Reduces Stress & Depression
- Mulethi benefits include relieving people suffering from the problem of depression. Including licorice root in your daily diet, helps in controlling stress hormones, reducing depression, anxiety and stress.
- Licorice root is considered to be an extremely effective remedy for lowering the level of bad cholesterol in the body and increasing the level of healthy cholesterol in the body..
Keeps your Liver Healthy
- Licorice root is considered to be an effective option for keeping your liver, healthy and free from diseases. This helps in protecting your body from being damaged by free radicals and also helps in treating jaundice thus keeping your liver healthy.
Treats Skin Disorders
- Licorice root is extremely beneficial for your skin, as it helps in protecting your skin from various skin disorders such as rashes, eczema, psoriasis and dry skin. Thus, helping in keeping your skin healthy.
- Licorice root is considered to be an extremely effective remedy for weight loss, including licorice root in your diet, along with rigors exercise routine will help in burning excess fat from your body.
Treats Sore Throat & Cough
- Licorice root is an excellent remedy for curing problems such as sore throat and cough. They also help in treating respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis and asthma.ut some licorice root in a cup of boiling water after 10 minutes. Straining the water and drinking it to get relief from these problems.
Useful part -Root
Dosage - 3-5 gm.
Toxicity and Safety Aspects
The intake of higher doses of licorice (above 50 g/day) over an extended period may cause sodium retention, hypertension and cardiac complaints. If taken in excessive amounts it can cause metabolic disturbances known as pseudoaldosteronism (due to mineralocorticoid effect of glycyrrhizin) leading to oedema, hypertension and weight gain. The drug when used within the recommended dosage and the treatment period is devoid of any adverse reactions.
- Textbook of Dravya guna vijnana By - Dr. J. L.N. Sastry.