Neem (Azadirachta indica) is a member of the Meliaceae family and its role as health-promoting effect is attributed because it is a rich source of antioxidant. It has been widely used in Chinese, Ayurvedic, and Unani medicines worldwide especially in Indian Subcontinent in the treatment and prevention of various diseases. Neem tree belongs to the family Meliaceae which is found in abundance in tropical and semitropical regions like India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Nepal. It is a fast-growing tree with 20–23 m tall and trunk is straight and has a diameter around 4-5 ft.
|Rasa (Taste)||Tikta, Kasaya|
|Vipak (Post-digestive effect)||Katu|
|Guna (Quality)||Light, Dry|
|Doshic Effect||Balances K- P|
- Leaf extracts: Active constituents of neem leaf extract include isomeldenin, nimbin, nimbinene, nimbandiol, immobile, nimocinol, quercetin, and beta-sitosterol.
- Seed: Active constituents have not been determined with certainty. The neem seed extracts vary in each batch in terms of stability and activity. Two new tetranortriterpenoids, azadirachtin H , and azadirachtin I , have been isolated from neem seeds.
- Tree: Azadirachtin is a tetranortriterpenoid from the neem tree. Neem bark and leaves contain tannin and oil.
Therapeutic Benefits Of Neem:
- Antioxidant Activity - Free radical or reactive oxygen species are one of the main culprits in the genesis of various diseases. However, neutralization of free radical activity is one of the important steps in disease prevention. Leaf and bark extracts of A. indica have been studied for their antioxidant activity and results of the study clearly indicated that all the tested leaf and bark extracts/fractions of neem grown in the foothills have significant antioxidant properties.
- Anticancer Activity - Cancer is a multi-factorial disease and major health problem worldwide. The alteration of molecular/genetic pathways plays a role in the development and progression of cancer. Azadirachta indica(Neem) and their active compounds play pivotal roles in the prevention of cancer development and progression. Azadirachta indica holds various ingredients and these constituents activate the tumour suppressor genes and inactivate the activity of several genes involved in the cancer development and progression.
- Effect of Neem as Anti-Inflammatory - Azadirachta indica fruit skin and isolated ingredient azadiradione showed significant antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities. Nimbidin suppresses the functions of macrophages and neutrophils relevant to inflammation.neem leaf extract showed significant anti-inflammatory effect but it is less efficacious than that of dexamethasone.
- Wound Healing Effect. - Neem contains an excellent amount of amino acid, vitamin and mineral that is very important in the wound healing process in the proliferation phase. Thus, neem accelerates the healing process by speeding up the proliferation phase.
- Antidiabetic Activity. - Neem can lower blood sugar levels and might cause blood sugar to go too low. If you have diabetes and use neem, monitor your blood sugar carefully.
- Role of Neem in Dentistry - A study was made to assess the efficacy of neem based on mouth rinse regarding its antigingivitis effect and study confirmed that A. indica mouth rinse is equally effective in reducing periodontal indices as chlorhexidine.
- Neuroprotective Effects
- Immunomodulatory and Growth Promoting Effect.
- Antimicrobial Effect.
Useful part - Root bark, Stem bark, Gum, Flower, Leaves, Seeds, Seed oil.
Dosage and side effects (only after consultation with an ayurvedic doctor)
Bark powder - 2-4 g, fresh juice 10-20 ml, seed oil 5-10 drops.