Treatment protocol aims at:
- Relief from pain, numbness and weakness and make the patient able for day to day activities.
- Prevent progression of disease.
- Strengthen muscle and relax the nerves and Rejuvenate the whole body.
The first line of treatment should always be avoiding the causative factors. If the problem persists then consider the following treatment protocol.
- Low back pain and radiating pain from low back to toe , Pain in arm, weakness and numbness in arm or leg - Irritated, compressed and inflamed nerves because of herniated discs produce pain along the path of the nerve. Ashwagandha, Punarnava provides strength to the back and shoulder muscles, spine and the ligaments. It also reduces the inflammation in the bulged disc and irritation in nerves and acts as a natural Rejuvenator which provides nutrition and strength to the tissues, especially bones and muscles. It balances Vata dosha.
- Guggulu, Trayodashang guggul, Rasna, Gokshura, Eranda are powerful pain allevaters that help to pacify vata dosha that result in disc prolapse. It helps in improving immunity and also regulates metabolism of the body and eliminates toxins and waste products from the body.
(The above mentioned Ayurvedic drugs are Herbs and Herbomineral preparations)
Other therapies - Abhyanga (oil massage), Basti (enema), Kati Basti (An external Ayurvedic treatment of localized application of medicated oil used in a particular region on the back), Shashita shali pinda sweda Virechana/Purgation therapy (cleaning digestive tract and purifies blood), Vasti (enema) to reduce inflammation and cleanse the system. Shashtika shali pinda sweda (a type of fomentation), Lepa (Lepa: A type of therapy wherein paste of drug is applied to the affected part).