Treatment protocol aims at :
- Maintain the normal digestive function and help to prevent future occurrence.
- Stimulating digestion and bowel peristalsis.
The first line of treatment should always be avoiding the causative factors. If the problem persists then should consider the following treatment protocol as given below:
1. Lumpy, mucus, sticky, hard stool: Low or deranged digestive fire results in improper digestion and stool formation. This also indicates ama(toxin) is abundant in the gut. Treating with Chitrakadi vati will ignite the digestive fire and do ama-pachana (removing toxin).
2. Passing fewer stools, Straining, Feeling of blockage or incomplete evacuation: Not enough fluids, fibers and other unhealthy habits makes the stool hard and difficult to push out of the body. Treating with Aragvadha, Sonamukhi, Gandharva haritaki, Amalaki and Haritaki are well known natural laxatives and normalize the intestinal transit time.
3. When other treatments are not effective or you are suffering from chronic constipation (constipation lasting for more than three months): Trivrit is considered as the best drug having piercing and purgation action.
(The Ayurvedic drugs mentioned are Herbs and Herbo-mineral preparations)
Other therapies - Virechana(Purgation), Vasthi (Enema), Sarvanga abhyanga (Whole body ayurvedic massage), Pichu(local application of soaked cotton in oil)