Treatment protocol aims at:
- Relief from Headache
- Prevent the complications associated with cluster headache
- Preventing recurrence by revitalizing the nervous system
The first line of treatment should always be avoiding the causative factors. If the problem persists then consider the following treatment protocol
Severe one sided pain in head - In cluster headaches a specific nerve pathway in the base of the brain is activated, signal coming from hypothalamus where the "internal biological clock" that controls your sleep and wake cycles lives.
The trigeminal nerve which is affected is responsible for sensations such as heat or pain in your face. It is near your eye and it branches up to your forehead, across your cheek, down your jaw line, and above your ear on the same side also resulting in Drooping eyelid, Redness and tearing up of the eye and swelling around the eye
- Headache with severe pain like excruciating and one sided pain - Eranda helps to reduce the pain and controls vata. Kamadudha, Mauktik bhasma is a classical Ayurvedic preparation which is helped in reducing neurovascular pain by its antioxidant properties
- Reduce stress and provide good sleep - Ashwagandha, Jatamansi, Tagara, Brahmi, Shatavari - also it pacifies vata, pitta and causes soothing of the nervous system reducing the trigger periods.
- Cure stuffy or runny noses - Bibhitaki
- Redness and tearing up of eyes - Amalaki, Godanti and formulations like Kamadudha and Laghusootshekhar ras
(The above mentioned Ayurvedic drugs are Herbs and Herbomineral preparations)
Other Therapies: Shirodhara, Shiro vasti, Thalapothichil/Shiro Lepa, Nasya, virechana/Purgation therapy (cleaning digestive tract and purifying blood).