Brahmi is a perennial herb most well known for its memory enhancing property. The plant grows luxuriantly in wet soil near freshwater aquatic sites. It grows 6 inches to 3 feet in height and has oblong leaves and purple flowers.
The entire plant along with the roots can be used medicinally.
Major alkaloids of Brahmi are Brahmine and Saponins such as Bacposide A and B which improve the nootropic function (agents that enhance memory, creativity and motivation). This makes it Brahmi a good brain tonic.
|Rasa (Taste)||Madhura, Tikta, Kasaya|
|Vipak (Post-digestive effect)||Sweet|
|Guna (Quality)||Light, Spreading|
|Doshic Effect||Balances v- p-k|
Mental Health - Manage - Memory loss
Brahmi may be useful in managing age-related memory loss due to the presence of antioxidants. It may reduce the damage caused because of free radicals and enhance learning and retaining potential in older people. Brahmi may also be useful in reducing the accumulation of a protein responsible for Alzheimer’s disease.
Mental Health - Manage Anxiety and Depression
- Brahmi may be useful in managing anxiety due to its anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) property. It may reduce the symptoms of anxiety and mental fatigue while increasing memory span. Brahmi may also prevent neuroinflammation (inflammation of the nervous tissue) which is responsible for anxiety.
- Brahmi has neuroprotective, anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) and antidepressant properties. These properties may be useful in managing mental illnesses like anxiety, depression and insanity. Brahmi may be useful in promoting mental health, intellect and improving memory].
Brahmi for Epilepsy/Seizures
Brahmi is rich in antioxidants that protect the brain cells. During an epileptic attack, production and activity of certain genes and their proteins gets reduced. Brahmi stimulates these genes, proteins and pathways thereby reversing the probable cause and effects of epilepsy.
Brahmi for Hair problems.
Brahmi helps to control hair fall and enhance hair growth due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties. Brahmi also has Sita (cold) potency and helps to balance excessive Pitta, the main reason behind hair problems. Beneficial in conditions like Alopecia, Male pattern baldness, Female pattern baldness, etc.
Brahmi for Improving sexual health
Brahmi may be useful in managing certain sexual problems. In males, it improves sperm quality and sperm concentration. In females, it may be useful in managing infertility. Brahmi may also stimulate sex drive.
Brahmi for Pain relief
Brahmi may be useful in managing chronic pains due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It may also be useful in managing pain caused due to nerve damage or injury. Brahmi blocks the detection of pain by nerve cells thereby reducing pain. Its effective in managing Migraine pain.
Brahmi relaxes the respiratory tract and also helps to manage allergic conditions.
Brahmi for Hoarseness of voice.
Although enough scientific evidence is not available, in traditional medicine, Brahmi may be useful in managing hoarseness of voice.
Dosage and side effects (only after consultation with an ayurvedic doctor)
- Brahmi Juice - 2-4 teaspoons once a day.
- Brahmi Churna - ¼-½ teaspoon twice a day.
- Brahmi Capsule - 1-2 capsules twice a day.
- Brahmi Tablet - 1-2 tablets twice a day.
- Brahmi Infusion - 3-4 teaspoons once or twice a day.
- It is recommended that people with hyperthyroidism avoid using brahmi, as it has been shown to significantly elevate T4 levels in vivo.