Bala which means “strength” is a popular herb in Ayurveda, which is used in the various medicines in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha system of medicine since ages. It has good medicinal value and is useful to treat diseases like fever, weight loss, asthma, chronic bowel complaints and nervous system disease and acts as analgesic, anti-inflammatory, hypoglycemic activities etc.
All parts of Bala possess various medicinal properties, especially the root. Bala and its species that are classified in various Ayurvedic samhitas are, four in number , they are.
- Bala–Sida CordifoliaLinn.
- Atibala–Abutilon indicum Linn.
- Nagbala–Grewia hirsuteVahl., Sida veronicaefolia Lam., Syn. Sida humilisCav.
- Mahabala–Sida rhombifoliaLinn.
|Vipak (Post-digestive effect)||Sweet|
|Guna (Quality)||Light, unctous, Pichhila|
Balances V- P
Hrudya, Raktapitta shamak, shukrala,
Prajasthapana, Mutrala, Jvaragna, Balya,
Bala is beneficial in the management of erectile dysfunction (ED). It acts on the central nervous system. It contains ephedrine which acts as a mood altering and stimulating drug. Bala might increase the duration of erection and thus controls ejaculation during sexual acts.
Bala might be beneficial in the management of asthma and bronchitis. Bala has anti-inflammatory, adaptogenic and immunomodulatory properties. Ephedrine, vasicinone, vasicine and vasicinol in Bala act as bronchodilators. They help in the dilation of the bronchial tubes and give relief from bronchitis.
Bala might be beneficial in the management of obesity. It contains ephedrine and norephedrine that acts on the central nervous system (CNS). It helps to suppress the appetite and promote weight loss. It also helps to lower the blood sugar level that may also contribute to weight loss.
Sida Cordifolia, is nutrient dense herb that imparts a rejuvenative action on bone tissues. It contains phytoestrogen that stimulates osteoblast proliferation and support healthy bone density.
Dosage and side effects (only after consultation with an ayurvedic doctor)
Useful part - Root .
Bala Powder - 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon.
- Bala contains a compound that may cause bradycardia (slow down heart beat) and lower blood pressure.
- Bala may lower blood glucose level. So it is generally advisable to monitor the blood glucose level regularly while taking Bala or Bala supplements (although Bala is safe if taken in food amounts) along with anti-diabetic drugs.
- Although Bala is safe if taken in food amounts, it may cause kidney stones. So it is generally advisable to consult your doctor before taking Bala or Bala supplements if you have a history of kidney stones.
- Although Bala is safe if taken in food amounts, it may dilate the pupils and worsen glaucoma. So it is generally advisable to consult your doctor before taking Bala or Bala supplements if you have glaucoma
- Although Bala is safe if taken in food amounts, it may stimulate the thyroid and worsen thyroid problems. So it is generally advisable to consult your doctor before taking Bala or Bala supplements if you have thyroid problems.
- Although Bala is safe if taken in food amounts, a certain compound present in it may stimulate the nervous system and worsen anxiety. So it is generally advisable to consult your doctor before taking Bala or Bala supplements if you suffer from anxiety.
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia Of India.Part 1 Volume 1.